Volunteering is one of the most important manifestation of social activity and active citizenship, which is becoming even more necessary in an age where traditional community functions may be weakening. To ensure that volunteer organizations are supported in their work, programs and services need to be offered in support of both the organisation as well as the individual volunteer.
The Volunteer Centre will serve primarily to foster and develop volunteerism in the community as a whole as well as support small and medium sized voluntary organisation in their operation. In general it will support four main areas: The promotion of volunteerism, capacity building for effective local volunteering, provide leadership on issues relating to volunteerism, support networking between VOs and connect people, and serve as a base from which small and medium voluntary organisations can operate.
The premises are the responsibility of and owned by the Malta Council for the Voluntary Sector and will be run in respect of the surrounding area and the city that would host it. For this purpose the use of environmental friendly measures for the generation of electricity will be introduced. The Centre will also be run in financially viable way with the intention of sustaining its own running.
Services Provided by Volunteer Centers
In addition to housing the offices of the MCVS, the Volunteer Centre is aimed to support Voluntary Organisations. This is done by providing both space and facilities from which such organisations can operate. There shall be three Volunteer Centres, one in the centre of the island, one in the north and one in the south. The Central and North Centres will be in operation by the end of 2014. The Centres will be referred to and North (NH), South (SH) and Central (CH) Hubs.
Services Provided by the Central Hub – Valletta
- MCVS Administrative Offices;
- Reception Area which will be open between 08.00 – 16.00hrs to support in the booking of the meeting/training rooms and administrative support;
- Provision of mail box system for receiving mail to the various Voluntary Organisations registered with the Centre;
- Four (4) VO Meeting Rooms to be used by Voluntary Organisations both for meetings as well as to serve as an operating base. Each room will be furnished with one computer which will be at the disposition of VO’s registered with the Centre. Each room will also provide eight storage spaces, one space for each VO, for storage of filing and physical documentation, as well as with conference table and chairs.
- Training Hall which will cater for a seating capacity of 50 persons with presentation/projection facilities.
- Resource Room which will be incorporated in the Training Hall and will provide both a physical library with publications and journals related to the sector as well as on-line publications.
- The building will be served with a lift which shall be installed in the internal yard. The lift will give full accessibility to all those making use of the premises.
Voluntary Organisation may use the facilities of the Volunteer Centre by contacting MCVS on telephone number 21240041 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. The use of the facilities is managed under the established Guidelines for Volunteer Centres 2017 v2 set by MCVS. To apply one must first read, understand and abide by the guidelines and then fill in the one of the booking forms below. In case of choosing the document form (.doc), one must sign, scan and deliver the form by hand or send it by post.
Volunteer Centres Location (Google Maps Link)
Valletta Volunteer Centre
Rabat Volunteer Centre
Qawra Volunteer Centre