Networking for World Awareness of Multicultural Integration (NWAMI) International Malta, (OCVO registration number 2178) is a non-profit organisation. Our primary purpose is to promote active citizenship and cross-sector collaboration in support of community development by addressing pertinent issues or Malta’s contemporary social fabric.
Through our work, we pay tribute to the inspiring words of Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General (2004), which echo our sentiments and values, “tolerance, inter-cultural dialogue and respect for diversity are more essential than ever in a world where people are becoming more and more closely interconnected”. Multicultural Integration is more than simply recognizing and acknowledging the diversity and differences prevalent in society. It is a complex, and challenging topic in the sense that there is a rapid increase of complexities of issues pertaining to the different social values and norms that impact:
- socio-economic wellbeing,
- community development,
- livelihood of individuals and families,
- gender-role orientations and,
NWAMI International Malta’s objectives are:
- To attend to the needs of Malta’s contemporary social fabric by helping to bring about a better understanding of issues related to multicultural integration by actively fostering a spirit of inclusion, community cohesion & multicultural integration. This also includes working towards addressing all forms of discrimination, including overt and covert racism and reducing hate crime.
- Promotion of Maltese culture and safeguarding Maltese cultural values within Malta’s rich multicultural fabric.
- Fostering a spirit of friendship between and within communities with different socio- cultural and ethnic contexts and abilities.
- Fundraising activities by means of community engaging projects, sponsorships or otherwise for all the purposes and objectives of NWAMI International Malta in such amounts and in such manner as may be authorized by the NWAMI International Malta Executive Committee.
- Collaboration with any national/international organisation/s whose aims are similar to those of NWAMI International Malta.
- Encourage and promote relevant research.